Lime Academy Larkswood believes that physical education, experienced in a safe and supportive environment, is vital and unique in its contribution to a pupil’s physical and emotional development and health. The physical education curriculum aims to provide for pupils’ increasing self- confidence through an ability to manage themselves successfully in a variety of situations. Furthermore, it will teach and provide the children with the confidence and skills to compete in sports and activities to the best of their abilities.
Aims and purposes of P.E. at Lime Academy Larkswood
All children should be provided with opportunities and encouraged to:
- Experience a wide range of physical activity;
- Enable children to develop and explore physical skill with increasing control and coordination.
- Develop confidence and competence in performing different skills;
- Develop positive attitudes to physical activity;
- Participate in competitive sports and activities;
- Improve social and interpersonal skills;
- Appreciate the efforts of others, as well as their own;
- Respond positively to different challenges;
- Persevere and make sustained efforts to develop and improve their own performance;
- Pursue habits and interests that promote a healthy lifestyle;
- Become increasingly aware of how physical activity affects the body.
- PE in Foundation Stage and Key stage 1
Children will learn and develop fundamental movement skills and become increasingly competent and confident and access a broad range of opportunities to extend their agility, balance and coordination, individually and with others. They will engage in competitive (both against self and against others) and co-operative physical activities, in a range of increasingly challenging situations.
Pupils will be taught to:
- master basic movements, including running, jumping, throwing and catching, as well as developing balance, agility and co-ordination, and begin to apply these in a range of activities.
- participate in team games, developing simple tactics for attacking and defending.
- perform dances, using simple movement patterns.
PE in Key stage 2
Building on the skills and activities taught in Key stage 1, children will continue to develop a broad range of skills, learning how to use them in different ways and to link them to make actions and sequences of movement. They will enjoy communicating, collaborating and competing with each other. They will develop an understanding of how to improve in different physical activities and sports and learn how to evaluate and recognise their own success.
Pupils will be taught to:
- use running, jumping, throwing and catching in isolation and in combination
- play competitive games, modified where appropriate [for example, badminton, basketball, cricket, football, hockey, netball, rounders and tennis], and apply basic principles suitable for attacking and defending
- develop flexibility, strength, technique, control and balance [for example, through athletics and gymnastics]
- perform dances using a range of movement patterns
- take part in outdoor and adventurous activity challenges both individually and within a team
- compare their performances with previous ones and demonstrate improvement to achieve their personal best
At Lime Academy Larkswood, we use the LCP PE Schemes of work, Create Development REAL PE and REAL Gym, imovesdance and 5-a-day Fitness to support us in the provisions of physical education and sports.
LCP PE Schemes of Work – http://www.lcp.co.uk/primary-school/physical-education
Create Development REAL PE – https://www.createdevelopment.co.uk/real-pe/
Create Development REAL Gym– https://www.createdevelopment.co.uk/real-gym/
5-a-day Fitness – http://5-a-day.tv/
Information and activities that can take place at home.
Healthy Eating – http://www.nhs.uk/Change4Life/Pages/healthy-eating.aspx
Find local activities – http://www.nhs.uk/Change4Life/Pages/local-change-for-life-activities.aspx
Shake Up Finder – https://10minuteshakeup.change4life.co.uk/shakeupfinder